Not long to go now! I wanted to share this very easy and tasty burrito recipe to give you some inspiration for healthy comfort food to undo the damage that a long stressful week might have inflicted! Well, they are as healthy as burritos go, but definitely worth a try. Roll your sleeves up and let’s go…
Here’s what you’ll need (makes 2 large burritos, or double everything if you’re feeling extra famished!):
2 chicken breasts
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
a squeeze of maple syrup
1 cup of cooked quinoa
juice of 1/4 lime
a handful of fresh spinach
a pinch of cayenne pepper
salt and black pepper
2 large tortilla wholegrain wraps
For the salsa
2 small tomatoes, peeled and chopped
garlic, minced or granulated
juice of 1/4 lime
For the guacamole
1 large avocado
a pinch of crushed chillies
juice of 1/2 lime
In addition to the above you could also add grilled peppers, crushed feta cheese and black beans, but this is the simpler, lighter version.
1. Cut up the chicken breasts, coat them with cayenne pepper, and cook them in a pan until golden. I personally use a bit of coconut oil to grease the pan as I find it makes the taste of the chicken slightly more buttery, and it gives it an interesting twist, but it’s not for everybody! Try it if you’re feeling extra adventurous.
2. In another pan, cook the chopped onions until brown. Add a squeeze of maple syrup, or any other syrup (agave works too, or I sometimes just use a sweet balsamic glaze) to caramelise the onions.
3. Mix the already cooked quinoa with some salt, pepper and the juice of 1/4 lime and leave it to the side.
4. In another bowl, mix your peeled chopped tomatoes with the juice of 1/4 lime and add some fresh chopped parsley and garlic. Leave to the side.
5. Cut up your avocado in half and remove the stone. Scoop the flesh out with a spoon and slice it up to make mashing easier. You could also use a blender to pulse it into a smooth puree, but I prefer my guacamole with a rougher texture. Add salt, pepper, the juice of half a lime, and sprinkle with crushed chillies. If you want you can also add some finely chopped red onions, then mash it all up into a puree!
6. Layer the burrito ingredients onto your warm tortilla wraps and you’re done! Follow the steps in the images below for the best results:
6a. Start with the fresh spinach leaves as the base:
6b. Then the quinoa mix:
6c. Follow up with the caramelised onions:
6d. Top it all off with the chicken, and roll those babies up!
… And you’re good to go! Tuck in, and don’t forget to let me know how they worked out, or maybe even share your own unique spin on this healthy burrito recipe in the comments.
Enjoy your precious two days off!